Welcome to my first ever Friday Face Off! It’s a simple post comparing two products, some pros and cons and of course who wins! Hope you enjoy them and I’d love your feedback. Especially if you have some suggestions of products I must try!
Whenever I can’t find my chapstick I immediately enter panic mode. First reason is pretty basic: I can’t survive without it. Second is more logistics based: I have to spend way too much money on a chapstick, so losing one is like punching my wallet in the face.
In some ways, chapstick is the bane of my existence. Back in 2004 I was using any ol’ chapstick I desired (at the time it was Soft Lips). While visiting family in Louisiana, my lips decided to revolt against chapstick. I would like to say I’m being dramatic, but it really was a revolution. Not only did it stop working, but decided to have a reverse effect, causing my lips to painfully react. They became chapped, painful to touch and anything else pleasant you might think. What joyous times those were.
When I got home I went to the dermatologist and turns out my lips reacted to an ingredient found in most chapsticks. I should remember what that ingredient is, but I don’t, so win for me. Trust me, I’ve tried every single lip balm out there you can buy at stores, from Chapstick brand to “organic” (liars) to EVERYTHING UNDER THE CHAPSTICK SUN. I have discovered there are only two I can wear. So here they are for the first ever Friday Face Off!
EAU Thermale | Avene Cold Cream Lip Balm
$19.90 / pack of two
- Rich, creamy formula leaves protective coating on lips
- Relieves and aides in the healing of dry, chapped skin • Provide antioxidant protection • Long-lasting formula clinically proven to remain on lips for up to 8 hours
- Avène Thermal Spring Water to soothe and soften skin
- Hypoallergenic and non-comedogenic
Why I like it: They sell it on amazon. Since I’d buy groceries on amazon if that were an option, this makes me happy. I use it multiple times a day, yet it lasts a long time. Plus it’s a great product.
Why I don’t: There’s a slight shimmer tint to it. While not terrible, I’d rather not have it turn my lips a touch of light shimmer (at least when it comes to Chapstick).
Catrix © | Lipcare
$14.99 / each
- Exceptional healing properties – The ability of Catrix to promote new skin cell development quickly restores lips to their natural, healthy condition.
- Soothing emollient formula – An enriched base of natural oils, plant extracts and vitamin E keeps lips soft and healthy looking in any weather.
- Sun protection – The PABA-free SPF 15 formula provides continuous protection from sun damage during use.
- Cosmetically pleasant texture
- Safety – It’s non-toxic and safe for all ages.
Why I like it: Simply put, it’s amazing. It not only protects my lips, but heals them quickly. I’ve used this product for almost ten years.
Why I don’t: It’s been on backorder for months. Literally. That’s the only reason I’m not using it. They say they should be back in business this month, but they also said that in February, so I’m not holding my breath.
Alright, who wins the Face Off?
Catrix © of course!
Anyone else encounter chapstick issues like myself? What’s your favorite lip product you keep on you at all times?